Juno EMR and ClinicAid are integrated together. This means that they are two independent systems that have been programmed to work together. This offers you a comprehensive EMR that includes everything you need for your practice from scheduling and charting to billing – this is where ClinicAid comes in. ClinicAid is the billing platform offered with Juno EMR; it supports provincial billing in Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Saskatchewan, as well as private billing.
ClinicAid is a great tool for your billing needs. To use it fully, though, it is important for you to understand how Juno EMR and ClinicAid communicate and work together. To help you out with this, we created a guide that highlights the important things to know about the integration. Keep on reading to find out more!
Patient Data – Where does it reside, and how is it shared between platforms?
Your patient data is shared between both platforms; it can therefore be found in both Juno EMR and ClinicAid. The primary record, however, is always in your Juno EMR. Patient information such as name, health insurance number and address are passed on from Juno EMR to ClinicAid every time you navigate to the invoice creation page from Juno and will update the ClinicAid record to match the information in Juno.
What does this mean, concretely? This means that you only ever need to update the Juno record to update both platforms. This also means that changes performed on the ClinicAid side while handling rejections, for example, will never automatically be reflected on the record in Juno, and will be overwritten the next time you bill for a new service for this patient.
Navigating to ClinicAid from Juno EMR
There are many ways to navigate to ClinicAid from Juno EMR. The option you choose will depend on what you are trying to do. The most common approach is to navigate to the invoice creation page. It is necessary when billing for services performed for a patient, or when passing an update to the record from Juno to ClinicAid. It can also be used to navigate to the Manage Invoices section of ClinicAid as well as the administration panel.
To navigate to the ClinicAid invoice creation page from Juno EMR, either…
- On your schedule, click on the ‘B’ link on the appointment you want to bill for.
- On the patient Details page, click on the ‘Billing’ tab towards the top left, then on the ‘Create Invoice’ option (Juno interface), or on the ‘Create Invoice’ link in the top left (Classic interface).
- When writing an encounter note, use the ‘Sign, Save & Bill’ button to close the note and navigate to ClinicAid to bill for this encounter.
All three of these options will update the patient details associated with this specific patient in ClinicAid.
To navigate to the Manage Invoices section of ClinicAid, either…
- Click on ‘Billing’ at the top of the screen (Juno interface only).
- Click on ‘Admin’ or ‘Administration’ at the top of the screen to open the admin panel. From there, click on ‘Billing’ on the left to expand that part of the menu, then click on the ‘Manage Invoices’ option.
Do I need to create my providers manually in ClinicAid?
No, you do not. In fact, creating them manually may lead to problems with the integration, so it is recommended to avoid doing that!
To create a provider in ClinicAid,
- First ensure their Juno EMR provider record includes their provincial billing number (OHIP, MSP, Prac ID…). The integration relies on this piece of information to determine this person is a health care provider and will be using it to establish a relationship between both provider records.
- Navigate to the provider’s schedule in Juno EMR. If they do not have appointments yet, book an appointment. This can be done with a test patient if you do not have appointments to book with patients yet.
- Click on the ‘B’ link on any appointment scheduled in that provider. This will take you over to the ClinicAid invoice creation page. In the process, a new provider record is created in ClinicAid which means you will be able to select this provider when creating invoices though the new provider will be missing some important details (see step 4).
- In ClinicAid, update the provider record with the information needed for billing:
- Click on ‘Admin’ on the left, then click on ‘Providers’. This will open the providers window where you will be able to find the provider that was just created.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ icon – a blue icon with a pencil on it – to edit the provider record and add the information as needed.
- Click on the ‘Update Provider’ button when done.
What about my users? Do they need to be manually created?
Your Juno EMR users will be automatically created in ClinicAid the first time they access the billing platform. You do not need to take any action for this to happen.
Newly created users will be given standard access to ClinicAid. If you want to provide a different access level to the billing platform, you can do so by updating their user profile’s access role.